Does the President understand that 89% of Americans are NOT in favor of a military strike in Syria? More so, does he understand that per the congressional switchboard that the hourly average of people calling in to voice their opinions is running 498-2 against action in Syria?
If the opposition to striking Syria is overwhelmingly against, then why does The President and Secretary of State John Kerry continue to push for action? Why did the Senate Foreign Relations Committee approve a draft resolution to attack? Why are these people so willing to put American lives at risk in Syria?
My answer? I don’t know. I haven’t a clue. I have followed this issue closely and I have read every report I can to find out if there is something I am missing. I can’t find one piece of information to change my mind. So, I will have to speculate…
1. The Syrians government (Assad) has more chemical weapons and they plan to use them if the United States doesn’t intervene. This answer requires me to believe that we know where the weapons are, who has them and we can eliminate both the chemical weapons and people responsible with 100% assurance. Yeah right.
2. If we don’t strike then the chemical weapons could be relocated to a location that we can not hit. Guess what – the Syrians have had ample time in the past three weeks to relocate them. This has happened already in my opinion.
3. We don’t have a clue as to who launched the chemical attack. Bombing them to hell and back will persuade them to stop. Whoever “they” may be.
4. Our President drew a line in the sand with the Syrians and told them not to cross that red line. They crossed it. We have to show ”them” we mean business and prop up our President.
1. We destroy the chemical weapons! Oh yeah! But we would have to validate that we did destroy them right? Are we going to trust the UN to do this for us or would that require “US boots on the ground”?
2. We don’t destroy the chemical weapons. Again, we have to put US boots on the ground to search and destroy.
3. We put boots on the ground but we don’t find anything and the Syrians or the Rebels or the Free Syrian Army use the chemical weapons again at a later date. We have to start all over again. Pack your bag McCain you are headed to Syria again.
So what’s the answer?
Here is my opinion.
1. The President just needs to shut up. Stop talking tough and wait for the intelligence from the 300 CIA paramilitary people he has allowed to enter Syria. He also needs to stop giving away the game plan. The Congress needs to shut up as well. They are as bad as the President about leaking secrets.
2. Somebody knows where the chemical weapons are. Find them – water board them – get answers. Waterboarding is humane compared to a chemical attack. We found Osama bin Laden, we can find the people that know where the chemicals are stored.
3. Stop drawing lines and daring people to do something. The Syrians and rebels are idiot enough on there own, they don’t need any encouragement from the President or Congress.
4. Once we have the intelligence we need we then formulate a plan to eliminate the threat. Execute the plan. Game over.